Monday, August 25, 2014

Cajun Crack

Okay,
I know it has been awhile since I have written anything down, but I have been taking notes so hopefully now that school is done (Masters Degree Complete!!!) I will find time to write on here more often. Today's quote of the day is actually a quote from D2. First, the backstory...

The Friday before last, my friend, Alisha came to my rescue and flew here from Arizona to help me with house and boys, which had both begun to overwhelm me (Amazing friend, right? Most definitely!). That weekend we played in Springfield and in Theodosia and then took a detour to Alley Springs and Mill, which were ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! We spent a couple hours there before making our way home. I will try to post pictures soon. That detour sparked a light in SuperDave and so this past weekend he planned an awesome overnight river trip. Friday night we picked up DJ and Jillian and prepared for our trip. We bought sandwich stuff and snacks, including fruit, chips, and two types of trail mix. One type of trail mix we bought was the Cajun Mix, which we all referred to as Cajun Crack all weekend long because it was amazingly delicious and habit forming.

Saturday morning we headed to Emminence, MO to check into our hotel rooms and meet the Canoe Rental place van which took us all to our starting point. We took our time getting down the river and talking to all the lovely people also traveling down the river with us, but were all very happy to see our hotel room in the distance when we rounded that last bend. After setting the canoes up on the shore by our hotel and calling the canoe company to come pick them up, we went out to dinner at a local restaurant with greasy food.

Sunday morning the boys all went swimming while the girls all slept in and then loaded the vehicle (A fair trade for an extra hour or so of sleep). Then we made our way up to Round Springs and Cave to look around, and then detoured again over to Big Springs near Van Buren, MO to have lunch, explore the spring, and enjoy the Current River's cool water what turned out to be a VERY HOT day. Around 4:30pm we got out of the river, changed into dry clothes, and then headed to Poplar Bluff to meet DJ and Jillian's mom and boyfriend, where we parted ways with our favorite 12 and 15 year old children. We got home last night and pretty much did what we needed to before falling into bed.

This Monday morning came way too early, but we managed to get through it just fine. Now on to the line that sparked this entry...
Tonight, Alisha, SuperDave, and I made chicken quesadillas for dinner for everyone. After dinner, the boys watched some TV, took their baths, and then wandered back into the kitchen around bedtime for an evening snack. D2 was checking in the cabinets and found the Cajun Trail mix. As he was reaching for it he looked back to see if I was paying attention. I shook my head at him to tell him that no, he could not have any trail mix this late at night. D2 then reached for the regular trail mix and I shook my head again.
He then said, "Mom, I was getting the regular trail mix. I know the crack is for Alisha."


Which resulting in a lot of laughing and m trying to explain why I did not want him to have any energy-giving trail mix this late at night, or at least I tried to through laughing and barely breathing. Have a good night all!


  -Karen

1 comment:

  1. Haha, awesome!! Also, so jealous of your river trip... sounded so fun!! Glad you had a good time. We are in sweatshirts here in Idaho (been in the 50's). Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete